Town Board Meetings
2nd Monday - 6:30 PM
Cutler Town Hall
N10846 2nd Ave
Camp Douglas, WI 54618
Meeting dates/times are subject to change. Watch for agenda postings.
Town Cutler Bulletin Board
TOWN OF CUTLER ROAD TOUR
8A.M. — SATURDAY, MAY 5, 2018
CUTLER TOWN HALL
N10846 2ND AVE
CAMP DOUGLAS WI 54618
EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO ATTEND
Comprehensive Planning Meeting
Monday, May 7, 2018 — 5:00p.m. at Cutler Town Hall
N10846 2nd Ave.
Camp Douglas WI
Public is welcome to attend!
Town of Cutler Public Participation Plan (PPP)
The Town of Cutler recognizes the importance of public participation in the planning process. As such, a goal during the comprehensive planning process will be to inform and involve the public in the planning process.
Juneau County Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan
Cutler Town Hall is located at:
N10846 2nd Ave
Camp Douglas, WI 54618
Town Cutler History and Current Day
The Town of Cutler was originated in 1895 under the name of Cranberry Center. The Township of Cranberry Center was formed from part of the Township of Necedah. In 1896, the name of the township was changed from the Township of Cranberry Center to the Town of Cutler. It was named after Charles Cutler who served as the first Juneau County clerk from 1857-1889.
However, there were people residing in the area that became the Town of Cutler well before its date of foundation. One of the first families to settle in the area of what is now Cutler was the Edward Cripps family. They settled in 1870. Many other families eventually settled in the area as well and in 1884 the local post office was established under the name of Duester. The name was changed to the Cranberry Center Post Office in 1892 and finally to the Cutler Post Office in 1913. The post office remained open until 1944.
Cutler was a very busy place in the late 1800s-1900s. Many people were employed by G.H. Kruschke at the local cranberry marsh. Over 200 people were employed each year to help with harvesting the cranberries which were shipped on the railroad line that ran right through Cutler. A large fire destroyed the cranberry marsh in 1894. Other families were growing cranberries in the area which helped to maintain the history of the cranberry which is still very important in Cutler today! One of those families was the Clark Treat family and in 1923 Guy Potter bought Treat’s marsh and named it Cutler Cranberry Company which is still in existence today.
Wiregrass was another huge industry in Cutler in the late 1800s-early 1900s. Edward Drought headed wiregrass operations in Cutler. The high grass was cut, dried, stacked, bailed, and eventually shipped to Oshkosh, WI on the railroad to be made into mats. Mr. Drought employed Winnebago Indians as well as local residents to help with the grass harvest. All employees lived in tents on the marsh during harvest. In the early 1930s much of the wiregrass crop was destroyed because of hot weather and the Droughts left the business.
Farming became a huge part of Cutler in the early days. Many families had a farm and it became a livelihood for many. A creamery was built in Cutler and owned by Otto Haukum. Farmers took their milk there to be made into butter. Cutler resident Homer Georgeson harvested ice on his pond and sold it to the creamery. When the ice was brought in, in the winter, it was packed in sawdust to prevent it from melting. It was then used in summer to keep the butter room cool in the creamery. Farmers also sent their livestock on the train to be sold in big cities.
The town of Cutler in the early days was a booming town! Besides the post office which was housed on Otto Haukum’s front porch, there was a grocery store on the Drought’s front porch! The railroad was a major part of Cutler and because of that there was a train depot. To the north there was a school house built as well as some houses. When cars became more accessible to the residents of Cutler, a gas station was built as well as a tavern and restaurant. Unfortunately, a large fire destroyed the town and all that remains today is the school house and a few homes.
At one time, there were 7 different schools in what is today the Town of Cutler. One of those schools was Bear Creek School located in the southwest corner of the town. It eventually closed in 1941 and the remaining students were transferred to a school in Orange Township. Another school in the Town of Cutler was the schoolhouse that is still standing on Cutler Road today. This schoolhouse was not just used for school but also as a church and town hall. When all the schools in the area consolidated into one big school in Camp Douglas, the schoolhouse was leased to the Town of Cutler as their town hall until 1989 when the current town hall was built. Other schools that existed in the Town of Cutler included Jefferson School, Cranberry Center School, and Cleveland School.
At one time there was a Seventh Day Adventist church in the Town of Cutler. Worship was held at the Charles Cady home until the Cleveland School closed. They then held services at the schoolhouse. The Bethel Baptist Chapel was established in 1896. Eventually in April 1946 Bethel chartered its own membership making it an independent congregation. Bethel Baptist Church is a small country church, average attendance of 70-80 on a Sunday Morning, but with a big heart. The focus of Bethel is the Lord Jesus Christ, His Word, and His people. The goal is to love people by helping them serve and grow in Christ through the reading and studying of His Word. There are programs and events for the whole family. Sunday school classes for all ages, Jr. Church (ages 4-8), and Sunday Morning and Evening services, as well as Wednesday night prayer and Bible study. During the school year Bethel conducts a Good News Club at the Camp Douglas Elementary School. They also have activities and classes for teenagers, VBS, and an Easter Passion Play. Their service times are: Sunday School - 9:30am, Morning Worship Service - 10:30am, Evening Worship Service - 6:30pm, Wednesday Prayer and Bible Study - 6:30pm.
In October 1982 the Cutler Volunteer Fire Department was founded. On January 13, 1984 they were certified as a Fire Department by the state of Wisconsin, and eventually incorporated into the Volunteer Fire Department we know today on January 28, 1985. The first fire truck was purchased for $9,000 mainly with funds gathered through fundraising. Fundraisers included firewood and cookbook sales as well as a picnic fundraiser which is still held annually today.
The Town of Cutler is still flourishing and functioning as a close-knit community today! The current population is 331 people. One of the major highlights of Cutler Township is the cranberry industry! Cutler Cranberry Company is a family owned cranberry marsh operated by 4th generation growers Martin and Brian Potter. When the marsh was purchased in 1923 there was 11 acres of cranberries. Today, Cutler Cranberry Company operates approximately 375 acres of cranberries in Cutler Township as well as around 350 acres in the Town of City Point in Jackson County.
Another highlight of the Town of Cutler is the Eagles Nest Flowage. The man-made flowage was founded through work projects such as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the late 1920s and Great Depression era. The government provided all the labor means for the project and Guy Potter, Cutler resident, supplied all the materials needed to build the Eagles Nest Dam. After the dam was complete, Gert Crawford and Baldie sold minnows by the flowage for fishing and eventually started renting out boats and building cabins. That has now evolved into the Eagles Nest we know today! Currently there is a restaurant with many spaces for people to purchase property to have a home or a vacation space as well as a campground. People also like to come to Eagles Nest to do some fishing. Also, many people enjoy Eagles Nest because of the close proximity to the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge. Nearly one third of the Town of Cutler is comprised of the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge which is very unique to a town. The refuge attracts many animals to the area such as the sandhill and whooping cranes as well as the endangered Karner Blue Butterfly. The refuge also provides hunting opportunities to Cutler residents as well as visitors to the area!